The More the Merrier: The Ins and Outs of Adopting a Pet
If your house is feeling a little too empty, and you often wonder what it would be like to have a furry pet companion, adoption may be for you! There’s nothing like adopting a pet to make a house feel more like a home. However, adopting a pet requires careful consideration. Follow our recommendations to ensure your match is a successful one.
Finding Your Perfect Pet
Species and breed are top considerations when it comes to adopting a pet. For many, it’s easy to get lured into believing that a cute or trendy pet is the right choice for them. Unfortunately, this doesn’t take into account whether it’s an appropriate match for your fur friend.
For example, a small backyard may be limiting for a large, energetic breed. If you have a desire for a mellow pet, a young puppy may not be the best choice.
Here are some questions to help you decide which is the perfect pet for you:
- How much space do you have?
- Do you have a backyard/doggie door?
- How much time can you devote to training (especially if you want a young animal)?
- Can you commit more time to helping your pet adjust during the first few weeks?
- Do you have young children? Other pets?
- How often are you at home?
- What’s your lifestyle like?
- How much are you able to invest financially?
Before Adopting a Pet
Because their goal is to find a pet a forever home, rescues often want to know a lot about you and your situation. Some things to consider asking beforehand include:
- The pet’s background
- Disposition and personality
- Behavioral problems that should be addressed
- How much training has been received
- Medical or health issues to be aware of
- What diet they’ve been fed
- Which vaccines have been given and what’s still needed
- Has the pet been spayed/neutered and screened for certain diseases
You may also want to ask about transitioning a new pet into your home. Our team is happy to help! For every adoption, it’s important that your new pet be examined right away and given a clean bill of health. We offer great options for preventive care plans that can benefit your pet throughout life. Please call us to schedule an appointment!