Our Stroudsburg vets know that dogs love to chomp on things they shouldn't. As a responsible pet owner, it's important to be able to spot the early signs that your dog has been poisoned and know what to do if your dog is showing poisoning symptoms. 

Dog Poisoning

Unintentional poisoning is the most common cause of dog poisoning. Our family pets frequently get into things they shouldn't, leaving loving dog owners panicked and unsure of what to do.

In other cases, dogs have been exposed to toxic substances or even just eaten treats that just aren't suitable for dog metabolisms.

Common Household Items Toxic to Dogs

Your home and garden are full of items that could be toxic or poisonous to your dog. That is why it is critical to always know where your dog is and to keep potentially harmful substances out of your curious dog's reach.

Some of the most common household substances that are poisonous to dogs are:

  • Chocolate
  • Raisins
  • Xylitol (low-calorie sweetener)
  • Bleach
  • Oven cleaner
  • Laundry detergent
  • Tylenol
  • Alcohol
  • Gasoline
  • Tobacco
  • Furniture polish
  • Drain cleaners
  • Antidepressants
  • Snail, slug, or rodent poisons
  • Fungi
  • Yew trees
  • Acorns
  • Spring bulbs

Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs

Depending on the type of poison, the early signs and symptoms of poisoning in dogs vary tremendously but fall into a few categories: 

  • Symptoms caused by swallowed poisons can include vomiting, diarrhea, agitation, and heart issues.
  • Inhaled toxins may cause breathing difficulties or loss of consciousness in dogs.
  • If your dog's skin comes in contact with a poisonous substance typical symptoms include irritation and pain.

It's important to note that the symptoms of poisoning typically take a number of days to appear, and in some cases could even take months. 

Long-Term Symptoms of Dog Poisoning

If you suspect your dog has eaten something poisonous, seek treatment immediately. The fact that your dog does not show any symptoms right away does not mean that they are immune to the poisonous substance's effects!

Some of the long-term symptoms of your dog coming in contact with poisonous substances include irregular heartbeat, kidney failure, liver damage, loss of blood, and neurological symptoms such as seizures.

What To Do If Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

If your dog has been poisoned stay calm and call your Stroudsburg emergency vet, immediately.

Make sure to get your dog well away from the poisonous substance. If your dog got into it once, it may head right back to it while you are on the phone. Safely move the substance well out of your dog's reach.

Do not attempt to give your dog first aid. Different poisonous substances necessitate different responses. While inducing vomiting may be necessary in some cases, inducing vomiting may make your dog sicker. Bring your dog to the vet as soon as possible and allow your veterinarian to administer appropriate treatment.

If you know what has poisoned your dog, bring any packaging or a sample of the poison safely to your vet's office. The packaging will help your vet to get a full understanding of the situation, and how best to treat your dog.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

If your dog is experiencing any symptoms of poisoning, come to our office right away. Our reliable and compassionate team of veterinary specialists is here for your pet 365 days a year, 24/7.