Xylitol, A Sugar Substitute
Xylitol is a five-carbon sugar alcohol commonly used as a sugar substitute in chewing gum, candies, nicotine gums, toothpastes, and baked goods. It is also available in a granulated form at grocery stores as a sweetener.
Why is xylitol (artificial sweetener) so dangerous for dogs and cats? Ingestion of xylitol causes low blood sugar by affecting insulin release throughout the body. Low blood sugars can be seen 10-15 minutes after eating. The low blood sugar can be compounded further into liver damage if higher levels are ingested. The liver is the main organ of metabolism.
Sugar – Free chewing gum is the most common cause in the dog—- (commonly ingested from “purse digging”)
If xylitol ingestion occurs or think it may have occurred then consult your veterinarian immediately.