Decorating Hazards

Happy Holiday!

As we are all decorating for the holidays, a quick reminder about the hazards encountered with the holidays and pets.  The holidays are busy and stressful and we may not give our pets as much attention as other times of the year.  I know my dog gets jealous and will act out by destroying the kid’s toys or chewing on things he is not supposed to chew on.  Thankfully, he has never had an issue.  That is not always the case.  It actually happened to my mom yesterday where her dog swallowed a sock.  Fortunately, we noticed it soon enough and made him vomit so it did not get stuck in his intestines. 

A few years ago, I saw an Airedale who was not as fortunate.  The owners had just decorated the house and went out to dinner.  One decoration they used was 50 feet of garland.  When they returned home they noticed the garland was missing.  It was easy to figure out what had happened, as the Airedale had 10 feet of garland sticking out of his mouth.  The remaining 40 feet was in his stomach.  Garland is held together with a thin metal wire in the center that could not be chewed apart, so I assume he just kept swallowing until he was full!!  With surgery we were able to get him back home the next day. 

Have a Happy and Safe Holidays from all the staff at Barton Heights Veterinary Hospital!

 

tags:     |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |