Halloween Candy and Pets
As we all get ready for Halloween and buy lots of chocolate and candy to pass out to the trick or treater’s, please remember that chocolate and candy can be dangerous to our pets. As we are probably all aware that dogs cannot have chocolate, but there is some chocolate that are worse than others. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. It has the highest concentrations of caffeine and theobromines. It only takes a small amount of Baker’s chocolate to be dangerous. One ounce of baker’s chocolate in a 20 pound dog can cause seizures and needs immediate treatment. In a 10 pound dog 3 ounces of milk chocolate can cause a rapid heart rate and potentially seizures which would require medical attention. Lesser amounts of chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
The other product that can be very dangerous is xylitol. Xylitol is a product in sugar free gum and is becoming more popular in baked goods. A small amount of ingested xylitol can be very dangerous. It will cause the blood sugar levels to drop which can cause seizures. It can also cause liver failure. This is a very dangerous product to dogs so please make sure they do not receive xylitol.